So... chillies

Ron West EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 7 19:58:35 CET 2012

> So... since several people on this list grow their own chillies, are there
> certain things to keep in mind? Do they need a lot of water, or not? Can
> they stand the intense summer sunshine? Could I plant them outside in
> January? The average temperature is around 10 degrees Celsius, going to
> somewhere between 25 (night) and 35 (day) in summer.

Pepper plants love heat. Don't put them outside if the daytime temp
falls below 80F for long periods of time. Make sure they get at least
6 hours of sunshine a day. If you keep it inside be sure to keep it
watered as inside air in the winter is drier than outside (if it is
dry 1/2" below the surface then it needs water).

Pepper plants are perennial in their native habitat but people grow
them as annuals in their gardens. I have a 3 year old Prikee Nu chili
plant that I bring indoors during the winter.