The old designs are always better

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jan 2 22:25:10 CET 2012

On 02/01/2012 11:22, Peter Korsten wrote:
>> I think its awesome - rocket-powered high-efficient fuel burning. ;)
> High efficiency and a stove in a garden sound somewhat mutually exclusive.

Nice things, very old design for some reason abandoned by lots of people
without any good reason other than fashion or pressure from government
to buy approved things (that always end up costing us more)
It doesn't really make any real sense why, oh why, people who live
simple lives with limited income would ever turn to use coal, charcoal
or liquid paraffin to cook their meals. But they did and do, and would
spend nearly all their income to simply cook meals and keep warm!
I feel I'm in a very similar situation, funnily enough.

It's not nearly as complicated as it looks, the only fancy part is that
it is designed (or evolved) to have to flue heat up so that more gasses
are combusted.

To give you an idea of how efficient these little rocket stoves can be,
you can cook a meal with a tiny amount (about a few kilos) of scavenged
wood, pine cones, bark, cardboard, anything that burns non-toxic. Along
with a stove thermos (or thermos for your cooking vessel/pot) you can
bring, say, a pot of stew or soup just to the boil, pop it in the
thermos and it will cook for hours without any power....
I know it sounds a hassle, but so is paying for stuff when you don't
really need to ;)
Here's some small, commercial ones:

http://wildstoves.co.uk/rocket-stoves/

Not very expensive at all.
Including a diy ceramic elbow for a tiny paint can one.
I guess standard clay piping would work too.
Just a pile of fire bricks stacked right would work too.