joining the modular club

ToAd EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jan 1 14:18:55 CET 2012

On 31/12/2011 19:35, K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:

> On 29.12.2011, at 01:54, ToAd wrote:
>
>> As you might know, I built this:
>>
>> http://modular.thebigear.be/#8.0
>
> Wow, that is some beast! What does the Interpol scanner do?
Well, it's a series of VCA with VC crossfade.
But what's also cool about this module is when you put nothing in the
inputs and use a VCO/LFO to drive it. This way you can actually draw a
waveform using the 9 pots.

>> Consider a Cirklon with cvio for driving the modular. I finally went
>> multi-timbral. And I gained 4U of space as I could ditch the midi2CV's.
>
> Right now I am thinking Z8000, but I'll look into the Cirklon as well.

Definitely check it out. I think James has one too...

>> As for sounds, keep track of your patches. I take foto's of the
>> patches I like.
>
> With a Doepfer it's quite hard to see any connections on the photo --
> you can see that something is plugged into CV2 of the Oscillator --
> but where it comes from is hard to tell sometimes..;)

Yep I have the same problem here. I have to take notes also.
I use colored patch cables and I even added some colored tape to make
distinction between cables. And usually this doesn't matter as you'll
never get the exact same sound out of it. But it's fun to keep track of
the modules I use...

>> The few patches you find on the web are pretty useless, but it gives
>> you a start.
>
> Cool, I'll look into that. Doepfer has some nicely explained examples
> on their page, too.
>

>> As for addiction, I've been as good as clean for the last 2 years. I
>> only replaced the midi2cv's because I didn't like the holes ;-)
>
> Well the main shortcoming right now for me is that I can't change the
> LFO's speed with CV. And that my trusty old Syntecno TeeBee 303 (wich
> 4xGate/CV) is not close to the modular. But that will change soon...
A VC LFO is a must, Especially if you want to make 'bug' music. Also a
VC EG's is nice. I'm planning on upgrading some of my oakley EG's for
this feature.

>> Have fun with it! (and be gentle with the PSU)
>
> What are the dangers? I can blow things up, by using too much power? I
> thought there would only be no sound... Ah, I guess I need to pay more
> attention to the minute details...
Well, my PSU's just stop working when overloaded or when the difference
between both rails is too big. I use the power one supplies (big ones).
I have my PSU's (4 of them) loaded for about 40 to 75%. When I have a
new module I always test it with a test PSU first. I always measure the
current.
I have a friend who bought an analog systems on ebay about a year ago.
There was terrible hum on the outputs. I replaced the PSU and all
problems where gone. Also to consider are ground loops, although I
hardly ever had any issues with it. But I guess if you use
cabinets/psu's/modules ready made that it all will work fine.