RPM - Mastering - Status

Romain / rXg xtechcode at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:03:39 CET 2012

Martin ,
Thank you to answer me with very interesting details, it's super
appreciated :)
It's  very cool from you  to provide me/us  how you do in general for
mastering multiple songs all together and from different styles all
combined,
On internet i found mostly details and information for mastering but one
track only or individually ...
I never used Samplitude,
I used Cakewalk daws from 2003 till 2007,
I m impress about the result of your work, with no effect from Waves or
UAD,PSP, Manley rings the bell tho  ...
but then it s not those devices only who make the result but the talent of
the one who you are using them...

One stupid question : do you 'automate' some effect?

 For instance in my song; does the 'second (hard) part' get more
compression than the first part or a different compressor  ?)
I guess Paul Punkdisco has one Focusrite Liquid Mix but I m not sure, will
you advice this device to buy for the price and quality of it ?

To come back about my mixing and your advices,
 I must make the remark that playing digital instruments only on one song
has its " + " compare to record acoustic stuff only or acoustic and digital
all together,
So first of all I try to record my stuff without noises and clicks then:
I'm mixing first with normal Sony speakers that I know since I'm 14, then
AKG headphone, then my semi professional Tannoy (bass freq are not really
representative with them imo) ... then i turning in round with this
configuration and change details softly...
 I'm glad that you told me about the low content cause I used a High Pass
on each track and also when i had to prepare the song for the mastering  I
always had one eye on the  frequency analyzer ... So after your tip : I
should cut more :P

Anyhow my living room ( where i record and mix)is not acoustically isolated
properly for mixing ...
Of course I can do some installation for the purpose if it s needed but
then my place  becomes something not really livable anymore except if music
is your life :)

One more question; (all on your honor )
Did anyone in the past wanted to pay you to master their tracks ? :P

Romain