FS: Yamaha RM1x in need of love

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 06:33:27 CET 2012

Since it has always been well spoken of here, and because of the DIY spirit...

About a year ago I bought a Yamaha RM1x that needed a little care.  I
cleaned it up and found its major problem (a broken display) was
nothing more than a ribbon cable that came loose..

Unfortunately, that is not all that is wrong with it.  The micro
switches on the keys are pretty fiddly and take a lot of punching to
make work.  This is apparently a very common problem with these, as
Yamaha used the cheapest micro switches imaginable.   There are kits
to replace all of them available on eBay for under $20.00.

The encoders work fine, btw, which is another common problem.

I tried to live with it this way, and did actually make a couple
things with it.  But ultimately, Ive gone all modular and I just don't
find the need for it.

Someone willing to put in the time to switch out the micro switches
could get it to 100% easily.  I had planned to do it before I sold it,
but I just plain don't have the time.  Asking what I paid for it $100,
and split shipping anywhere in the world.  Hell, someone just willing
to fix it could do so and flip it for twice as much...

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Tony