BBC: �art Over

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at chello.nl
Mon Feb 20 21:47:08 CET 2012

Op 20-2-2012 21:40, Jay Vaughan schreef:
>> The Culture that Iain M. Banks describes is a pleasant figment, but no more than that.
>> - Peter
>
> I'm with you on this one, Peter.  Seriously, anyone who thinks mankind can do without work is lazy and fooling themselves.  There is nothing wrong with work - its great, in fact very healthy to have a good work life.  But if you don't like doing things for others, and only want to be served by the people around you, then tough luck.  Entropy is a bitch, and she won't sit still just because someone thinks work is unnecessary.  Work is necessary - or else the Universe wouldn't be expanding in the first place.  Work is what happens when the soul of man decides that the Universe is a mess and ought to be cleaned up a little, and when that is being done for the good of us all, then you have great works being done by great men.
>
> Seriously, I can't fathom the mindset that makes the conclusion that we shouldn't all have to work.  There's just no end to the disaster that would occur if that were to be a more wide-spread belief ..

You just don't understand. You're too brainwashed by the ways of
our society. When I say that work is not necessary, I do not mean
that everyone should sit on his or her ass and be lazy. It
certainly does not mean that I am lazy.
That's just what you make of it.

And speaking of disasters: they are built into the way of our
society and will ruin it.

:-)

--
Gert