small, light but good synth for live needed

Gert van Santen g.vansanten at chello.nl
Sun Feb 19 16:30:21 CET 2012

Op 19-2-2012 16:11, Tony Scharf schreef:
> I find it odd to be the one saying this....but have you considered
> just getting one of the Alesis iPad docs, and doing the whole set on
> there?  If you are already going to be using the iPad, this might make
> that an easier proposition.

Hi Tony,

excellent idea, and to be honest, it was my first idea. I WAS
definitely going to do this, because it would have meant doing
gigs with only a backpak - which would rock - I hate excess
luggage. Plus I already own an IO Dock, which is a very cool thing.

There are two problems, though, with this option.

1. I would have still needed an extra bag anyhow for clothes and
the monk robes (which I forgot about initially).

2. After testing this specific set-up out for an hour, I found
that I got quite a few hanging notes, and sometimes even missed
notes. Not a lot, but at least 1 every couple of minutes. It
could be my iPad, could be the controller (although I tried 2 of
them), could be the dock. I don't know. And yes, I did use the
latest version of the dock software.

So, then I thought it would be better to not use the iPad as my
main synth. I'm sure when the iPad 3 comes out, and there will be
a new dock, I will try this again, because it is an extremely
super mega compact set-up with loads of options and synths in one
small box.

So, then I checked my flight cases. I have 2 for keyboards, but
those are for synths I don't own any longer. The biggest one is
very heavy (yeah, self-made), the smallest one is very light, but
JUST 1 cm to small for my Virus.

That's why I've decided to go for the AKAI Miniak. It's got
everything I want, and it's very cheap. Plus it fits easily in
the small flight case, with enough space for the Monk Robes, a
small mixer, the synth module for my yamaha flute, etc.

1 backpack and 1 small flightcase is not bad either. Last time I
had 1 backpack, 1 extremely heavy flight case (rack), 1 heavy
flightcase and 1 lighter flight case...

So that's the story :-)

--
Gert