Cycling in the UK - what you should consider before you start

Andrew Tarpinian evildead at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 22:04:23 CET 2012

On Feb 17, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> wrote:

> The Netherlands are very good at bike lanes. Helpfully, usually the bike lanes are a reddish brown.
>
> In Amsterdam, though, this means that tourists think that those funny Dutch have two different colours of pavement, and will just step into a bike lane to look at a particularly interesting façade (after all, they're under the protection of the Tourist Shield of Invulnerability (+100) spell, like young girls in short skirts are), forcing you to brake hard.

I have biked in Amsterdam and as far as I'm concerned the bikers seem to always have the right of way, its awesome, it's the only city I have been to where in a situation of bike vs car, bike would win :)

It helps that Dutch bikes are not bikes, but tanks.

And yes tourists are seem to think the bike lane is the walking lane.