Cycling in the UK - what you should consider before you start

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:00:04 CET 2012

Well, this goes both ways.  There are ignorant cyclists as well.  You
often see them here not waiting for red lights, or driving the wrong
way down one way streets.  In the down town area, that is just asking
to get hit since there is so much congestion with pedestrians and cars
that it can be very hard to even see someone coming.  Aside from the
bicycle messengers, very few actually wear helmets.

A few years back, I actually got hit by a bicycle while stopped at an
intersection.  It was a T intersection, and the cyclist t-boned me
coming out of an ally while i was waiting for a red light.  The guy
came back to my car, screaming like a mad man, and picked up his bike
and threw it on my hood, denting it pretty well.  I stayed in the car
while this was going on, obviously, and some nearby police 'calmed
him'.  I had to fill out a report so I could get the dent fixed.  Very
scary.