Cycling in the UK - what you should consider before you start

The Dong dong at f2s.com
Fri Feb 17 16:43:14 CET 2012

On 17/02/2012 15:00, Tony Scharf wrote:
> Is it really legal for a cyclist to drive down the center of the
> street?  That just seems unwise at best.

See, now, your response just sums up the negative attitude toward
cyclists admirably!

Of COURSE cyclists are allowed to cycle on any part of a road, unless it
is a motorway, generally. They have pretty much the same right as a
motorcyclist or car in all cases, except MAYBE where there is a
specific, unbroken, cycle lane provided.

If the driver of a motor car, bus or motorcycle has no patience or
courtesy to allow for the seconds a cyclist (there are very slow and bad
motor vehicle drivers too!) may inconvenience, they should NOT be
allowed on the roads, full stop.

In my long experience of cycling on busy roads, nearly all drivers are
very courteous, but there are a few who maliciously cut in front of you
(left turn with you almost crashing into them going straight on)
overtake at high speed with very little clearance, or accelerate instead
of braking when they see that you might slow them down a few seconds in
their day and force you to veer dangerously toward other traffic, or
even off the road! In all of these latter incidents, the drivers blankly
stared me right in the eye as they did so, in one, they hung out their
window and shouted some abuse!

F'k the minority of ignorant car drivers, who read the daily mail, no
doubt, and hate all cyclists because they aren't 'taxpayers'.

If I ever become one, a driver, I'm going to let every cyclist have
right of way and give them a wave or a thumbs up, rather than try to
beat them to the imaginary finish line!