Mountain Lion

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Fri Feb 17 12:40:09 CET 2012

2012/2/17 Paul Maddox <yo at vacoloco.net>

> I gotta say, I'm really disappointed with Apple of late.
> The iPhone just plain sucks (I have a loooong list of gripes) and the new
> versions of OSX I see don't seem to add anything to my workflow, in fact
> they seem to go out of their way to plain inhibit it by dumbing down the UI
> (if I want an iPad style UI, I'll buy an iPad!!).

Interesting. Every single other person I know that has an iPhone is lyrical
about it. So what makes it rub you the wrong way?

And as for a nice operating system, there's always Windows 7. My impression
is that it is slightly less stable than XP (I don't remember ever getting a
BSOD with XP, whilst I've had a couple with 7, though usually whilst gaming
and perhaps it's a hardware issue), but it's rather nice to use.

Developing for it, now that's a different issue. I built a small
demonstration program today, where a Java process detaches itself from the
Unix shell by invoking fork() via JNA, but I have no idea how such a thing
could be done with Windows. Windows development has always struck me as
just a bit too complex to get your head around.

- Peter