getting armed

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Mon Feb 13 23:23:43 CET 2012

On 13/02/12 21:31, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>>> Embedded dsp is just a *complete* waste of space.
>> \\
>
> I dunno about that, its possible to put some perfectly normal C code into
> that DSP.
>
>> just to clarify - i mean the embedded dsp alongside the arm core (eg OMAP -
>> also there's one in the Broadcom SOC in r-pi), code for which would be
>> non-portable and difficult to write.
>
> C on Da Vinci DSP is a rock-solid bet.  Its a huge hassle that its not an
> easy compiler to install.

Yeah J, it's true, new DSPs are designed to be much more compiler friendly,
although even with a compiler successfully humming away, this still leaves the
business of how the two cores communicate, and one is left with a communication
structure that takes time to design and implement, and which again, leaves the
code unportable.

Writing for ARM (ie generic 32-bit CPU with a decent turn of speed) opens up the
code to run anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

Tony (HB)