RPM Demo, 1st draft

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 18:42:42 CET 2012

Thanks..the theme was is in my head as I am working on it.  This was a
first run draft, and Ill be adding more 'changing' elements in there
as well.

The modular is featured heavily, actually.  Both the bass sequence and
the percussion are all the modular (the percussion is actually just
the Harvestman Hertz Donut with some modulation).  The sequence is the
Malekko Noisering (based on a Wiard design) that is being pitch
quantized and controlling a Harvestman Piston Honda that is running
through a waveshaper (Abastract Data ADE-10 Reactive Shaper).  The
squence track is actually recorded linear for the full length of the
song, which I think helps a lot with keeping it interesting.  The
nature of the NoiseRing means the sequence does slightly change
through the course of the recording in an unpredictable and
uncontrolled way.  The FX on these are all done in Live with no
outboard.

The pad sound is my Korg M3, which I have hooked up digitally to the
MOTU 828 using toslink.  It is amazing the difference in the sound
that the better DA converters in the 828 provide.  FX on this track
are just what are in the patch in the M3.  It is one of my own
patches, which is actually built on a sample from my TTA Z3000 MkIII
oscillators.  In a way, I guess the whole track is my modular.  This
part is played back as it was recorded with no edits, though I
captured the MIDI and plan to make some adjustments.

I took a lot more audio passes of the modular that aren't included
yet, and I have some ideas for some additional percussion.  I think I
need to extend the frequency space of the track a bit, and give it
more of an evolution.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Tony