SSD, hybrid or Velociraptor?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Feb 5 18:14:09 CET 2012

So... my primary hard disc, a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, is getting a
bit long in the tooth. I can have a look at defragmenting, and whilst
Windows 7 proudly claims that there's 0% fragmentation, the freeware
tool Defraggler says it's more like 22%. Hmm.

Anyway, after changing the motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card,
the slowest part is now the hard disc, and I was wondering what to
replace it with. At work, my computer (a Core i7 860, double channel,
2.8 GHz) feels snappy and starts up really quickly; the computer at home
(a Core i7 960, triple channel, 3.2 GHz) feels much slower. The
difference is particularly evident when starting up a virtual machine,
which is a matter of seconds, whereas at home it takes minutes
(admittedly, from a low power/low performance disc).

The machine at work has a 500 GB Velociraptor and the only thing that is
mildly concerning is that it does a chkdsk *very* often after being
rebooted after, say, a week.

The fastest solution would be to get an SSD. However, I play a lot of
games, and load times there is an issue. Recently, I installed Call of
Duty: Modern Warfare 3, and it's a whopping 14 GB. Given that games
regularly come in at 5 GB, a small-size SSD is simply not an option. 250
MB, the size of the Barracuda, would be the bare minimum.

But then, cost becomes an issue. An SSD easily costs £1 per GB, and
spending £500 or so on a disc is just too much. A Velociraptor is less
expensive, but there's the third option: those normal drives with an SSD
cache.

All things considered, does anybody have some good advice?

- Peter