MOTU 828

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:41:43 CET 2012

Paul:

I looked into the PCI setup, but the 828 has the advantage of having
both USB and Firewire on it, so I can use it mobile with my laptop if
I need.  Also, the 828 acts as a digital mixer so you can use it
completely without a computer in some situations (though I honestly
don't think i will be doing live gigs again).  The flexibility to take
the unit in a rack up to a friends place to record some jams is very
enticing.

The 828 does the DSP on the unit just as the PCI version does it on
the card.  I don't see how this would increase the CPU load.  I also
don't anticipate using these FX much, but again..it's nice to know
they are there.

I also don't actually need that many inputs as the amount of gear I
have has been steadily shrinking.  Aside from the modular, I only have
the 2 stereo and 2 mono sources that I regularly record.  My yamaha
drum pad kit never uses its internal sounds, since battery is just
better. In fact, I doubt I will have much outside the box save my
modular and drum machine by the end of the year.

In any case, I ordered the 828 yesterday, and it should arrive today.

Tony