iPad synths & sequencers, how does it fit in the workflow?

Romain / rXg xtechcode at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:01:39 CET 2012

Basically between  logic 9 and my Ipad everything goes midi via wifi but
also i can plug the ipad from the novation and recorded the midi via usb to
the daw. ( cause novation SL has usb midi out , plus 2 midi in-out ).

                                                            *(OSX sound
card  Aggregate ---- > RME )*
                                                             /
                                                            /
                                      * *
 /
*Keyboard for pattern in Ultrabeat     *  /      *Korg MS - 20 controller (
don t have it yet)*
                                               \        /       /
                                                \   *Kaos *  /
                                                 \     |      /
*       Yamaha Ex5*    * -------------      Logic PRO -> [ wifi ]---- Ipad
---- RME *
*               |                                 /      |
            /      *
*               |                               /     USB
      /       *
*             RME -------------------------          |
     /*
*                                                NOVATION ----------- [
midi ]   *
**
**
**
Each instruments in my daw have a different midi channel ( my setting is
made to work in multi instruments recording ( via differents midi channel
settled in logic 9 or in the fly by selecting the instruments ( via
novation, or ipad, or the mouse) in the daw itself .

 it goes like this in my logic9 ( each midi channel is a different template
in my novation)  :

1 Korg iMS 20  (wifi)
2 Ultrabeat (logic Inst)
3 ES2 (logic Inst)
4 FM8 (NI)
5 Absynth (NI)
6 ESE (logic Inst) / Reactable (wifi)
7 Pro 53
8 Massive (NI)
9 TNR-I (wifi)
10 E electribe (wifi)
11 Animoog (wifi)
12 ESX24 (logic Inst)
13 Addictive drum
14 Nothing yet
15 Samplewiz (wifi)
16 Yamaha Ex5

+ Auto-map Novation templates [more or less  'hacked' for my wishes ; macky
controllers'code ( for fader, pan, record, mute, send1, tracks' bank
change, Play, FF,RW,Rec,Loop, )  +  CC  for channel strip effects for
tracks and bus ]
+ On my ipad I m using also Ney Controller V-control added to Novation
automap (specially to control filters and eq it brings another
touch'control experience )  ...

NB: Imo  using more than one audio' app in the ipad3 makes it not very
stable (satured noised sounds like buffer problem but i m not technical as
other in music bar it could be for other reasons : -) ...
also not all apps can work in  background ... But Animmog can... and
samplewiz too .. but both together are not suitable for jamming from one
and unique Ipad  ... ( maybe Ipad 4 ?? )

NB2 : the knob *in the app*  for the 'step length' in ipolysix and for the
'step grid' in iMs20 are not easy to set by touching/sliding it on the ipad
imo,  i will prefer tapping on the screen and type the correct steps i
wanted ...
Also I m checking if it s possible to do ESP with iMS20 ( with I-rig or
another I-audio hardware plugins) but i think it s not possible ... yet ? :P

It s true it took me a bit some time to setup my studio in this way, but it
worth it for the electronical work flow creativity (+300%) ... also for
mixing it s more practical ( even if i suck in this domain,lol) ...
when everything is sync and pitched,  and, you know the different synths
and sounds setting  + all  controllers needed  ... the only thing to  be
aware of is the limits of the cpo ... ( 2.2Ghz Intel 2 duo , 4 GHz memory )
 :-S

Last week, I made this song in one day (the hi-story of the voice sample
forced me to make it), is not really my style of music : EBM (thank you
Tony for listening and mentioned it  :-)

the song :  https://soundcloud.com/fractales12/fractales12-i-aint-your

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Joost Schuttelaar <
joost at joostschuttelaar.nl> wrote:

> Last weekend at Gert's, we were talking about all these cool new
> synthesizers and tools like the iMPC for iPad. One thing I've been
> wondering quite a bit, how do people use them?
>
> VST's back in the days were just a synth engine plus some controls, but
> apps like the iPolysix and iMS20 have multiple synth voices, drums and a
> complete sequencing environment. A bit like Rebirth back in the day. You
> can make a simple track with the app. But does anyone do this?
>
> Or do you just MIDI it up, and record over analog, like an old fashioned
> hardware synth?
>
> Or audio over WIFI? Or export wave date (copy paste) from the sequencer in
> the synth and paste them into a bigger DAW, like GarageBand or...?
>
> Right now I find that I like to toy with them, but that for making any
> production I just run AU's in Logic...
>
> So what do you do with them? :)
>
> --
>
> Joost Schuttelaar