Cubasis for iPad

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Dec 17 14:41:24 CET 2012

Sorry for the fanboix slight, I didn't mean it as an insult, btw, just as a 'real user' callout..

> I'm a pretty hardcore Cubase "fanboix" as you say and I don't have it.  I
> agree the price point is totally out of line.  I also question the
> viability of a DAW on an iPad.  I love my iPad, but not for music apps.
> There just isn't enough power under the hood for much besides the most
> rudimentary of things.

Oh, I dunno about the power thing .. really?  I think you can do an amazing amount of work on an iPad .. and the great thing is, you can connect 'em together easily enough, too, so if you need 'more instrumentation', Just Add More.  I mean, I get the utility of Cubasis/DAW-in-general on iPad: it actually does work out pretty good for most home-recording situations.  We haven't been using it, much, because RES has good studio recording too (or at least, for the most part) in the form of 'bigger gear' but I'm pretty sure I could make do with 2 or 3 iPads, a couple iPods for synths/effects, and so on.

I just think Steinberg are being a bit .. stalwart / stodgy .. ? .. for the price.  It could've been $12, and they'd make a bigger splash, imho .. but I only say that without knowing at all the Steinberg finance policies, which I'm sure require a minimum amount of money they need to make in order to justify the porting effort .. its easy for me to say its too expensive, I didn't develop it.  But if I did make a DAW for iOS, it'd have to be priced less <$10, just on the principle that its what makes the iPad so damn great; software should be about the price of a beer.

;
--
Jay Vaughan