NoiseTheorem, 'Dust'

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 20:26:10 CET 2012

Andy, thank you.  All the positive feedback I have been getting on this has
been wonderful!

The move from more sparse and less structured to more full and structured
was intentional. Consider the concept of the album and it makes sense.

About the mix: the mastering engineer was Justin McGrath from PolyFuse.  He
did it in one day and I have an e-mail with the exact details:

As for what I did, All tracks are using the UAD Neve 88rs channel strip to
add a slight bit of compression and for EQing. I was finding that I had to
boost some of the ultra high end, while reducing the upper mid end then
finally getting the right feel for bass volume.

>From there each track is set to a bus and there is very slight bit of UAD
TrueVerbPro, only material above 1khz is being sent here and there's also a
slight bit of chorus.  This I found smoothed out a lot of the harshness I
was hearing on high end percussive elements.  You may not notice it too
much.  Finally at the end of the chain is the UAD Precision Maximizer. This
gives you some extra loudness and high end boost without destroying the
signal.

My monitor setup here at the moment is Event TR8 monitors with a 10" KRK
subwoofer. The room is half finished being treated.  I
recommend listening to this in a few different places to see how the tracks
perform. You might want to pass it around to a few people to check out as
well.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So not a whole hell of a lot was done to it as far as I can see.  I am
pretty proud of the mix, particularly since people don't seem to be
complaining about any lack of 'space'.  Being deaf in one side, I can't
perceive a stereo field at all and so I had to kind of guess and spend a
lot of time looking at the spectrum analysis.  My mixing environment is
totally shit, but I am just used to it.

I keep hearing the 'soundtrack' word come up and, yes, I would love to
actually do that kind of work.  I might partner with a video artist I know
to produce some video for the songs or maybe something new.  I don't want
to do simple 'youtube screensaver' type videos, so budget may be a problem.

Tony

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Also I forgot to mention that I really liked the album. It actually took
> me a bit by surprise as you tended to downplay what you were working on if
> I remember correctly. I hate saying it, as I hate when other people say it
> about electronic music that does not fit neatly into a genre but it would
> make very nice soundtrack material, the sound design is very good. Also I
> wanted to mention I liked the earlier part of the album better, something
> about the sparseness with slight structure and/or melody but staying away
> from needing to have traditional "song" structure/elements. Also the mix is
> very nice, how close is this to your original mix? meaning did the
> mastering person add a great deal?
>

> On Dec 11, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Tony Scharf <noisetheorem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Band camp lets you name your price.   I could have set all the way to zero
> if I wanted and given it away (though they limit the number of downloads
> you get when you do that).   At checkout, the user can choose to pay more
> than $5 if they wish (and surprisingly, a few buyers have).  The money goes
> right to your paypal account as the gross sale. Band camp then bills you
> for their share on some schedule.
>
> Setting up the page was dead easy and the stats it gives me are great.   I
> really like this.   I am still waiting for CDBaby to list my release, but
> bandcamp was instant.  I plan to do all my releases this way.
>
> Tony
>

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Andrew Tarpinian <
> andrewtarpinian at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Chris Strellis <chris at strellis.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Tony,****
>>
>> I’m liking what I’m hearing.****
>>
>> If you give me you download link and your Paypal address I’ll send you 10
>> dollars gifted.****
>>
>> You deserve more than you’ve set bandcamp to give you (minus their take)
>> and your deserve at least a beer…maybe two I don’t know the prices they are
>> running in the US for beers but in the UK a pint is around 3 pounds 30p!*
>> ***
>>
>> Cheers****
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Geez... way to make the people who paid $5 look like cheapskates… ;p
>>
>> Actually it looks like $5 is about the going price for EP's on say
>> iTunes. What does bandcamp take? I'm actually impressed with the interface
>> having not really looked at it before, it reminds me a little of bleep.

NoiseTheorem:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NoiseTheorem
SoundCloud:http://soundcloud.com/noisetheorem
BandCamp:http://noisetheorem.bandcamp.com