Pussies behind Pussy Riot

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Aug 20 00:24:54 CEST 2012

Op 19-8-2012 20:55, punkdISCO schreef:

> Yeah, they do rock - wish I understood what they were singing about but
> perhaps they language mystery is what makes them appealing..

Truth be told, I don't like them at all. Too much screaming and not
enough sophistication. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALS92big4TY

Not my thing, but it doesn't warrant two years of forced labour (!) either.

However, I really like the sound of Russian and other Slavic languages.
I like the sound of Romance languages (Italian, French, Spanish,
Portuguese, Romanian) too, but with Semitic languages, it's the
opposite: for me, they range from downright offensive to the ear
(Hebrew) to so-so (Maltese).

An example of a Russian song I quite like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Es1nPWzJ-0

The singer is not particularly gifted, but at least she's cute. And
perhaps my all-time favourite Russian song, and as it happens, a
Eurovision entry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP-QLz83z-U

Again, the singers are rubbish, but the song is great - so much energy.
Or how about Serbian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAdBRsn0Ok

Or Ukrainian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3_zVnmiA-M

Anyway, that's enough Eurovision/Grand Theft Auto for now. But it's a
pity, really, that so much music is made in English, whereas other
languages seem so much more geared towards songs.

- Peter