desktop synths

punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 11:51:42 CEST 2012

Hi Paul

"I'm looking into these things and to give you an idea, something as
described above, might cost say £500, a knobby version would cost around
£800 because of the extra cost (assembly, bigger case, more holes, more
printing, etc, etc)."

Tricky one..  For me, interface is always everything but you then run the
risk of pricing yourself out of the market.

I don’t need to tell you this (you are a Pro in this field) but, in today's
market where we are spoilt for analogue gear, you have to have one (or
several!) angles that no one else has covered.  Eg:

DSI - big name / lots of feedback options / DCOs + Digital wavetables
Minibrute - Steiner-Parker Multimode Filter / volume of features / price
Monowave - PPG!!
Moog - big name / not much else :)

But you get the picture..

How about a hardware box with no interface at all but, a VST front end?  I
still love my HardSID 4U:

http://www.hardsid.com/hardsid_4u.php

This gives me the best of both worlds as I have a monster 4xSID synth that
is piss easy to map to my Novation Zero SL plus, its totally integrated in
my DAW.  A bit like the Access TI idea..

Good to hear you might be back in the game!!

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7