desktop synths

Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] marc.nostromo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:06:23 CEST 2012

In terms of layout think the mopho/tetra layout is extremely well thought
for a desktop box. I love the idea of direct pot access for the obvious
parameters like frequency/resonance and 4 assignable ones. I don't know how
the DSI desktop manages them but I would make them modulation sources so
they can become extremely powerful performance parameters.

Now - price wise - I know I am a bit of a strange bird here but I have
already a hard time spending 300 euros on a piece of gear without thinking
a lot whether it's completely fitting my bill. If you reach the 500 you are
going to start competing with the "pro" market and my feeling is that it
will more need to be a special unit than if you go in the 300 one like
zira. If you're going up to 800 pounds, you will be more expensive than a
tetra which - in comparison - would have a much poorer interface *but* 4
full analog voices full of modulations.

Of course, I'm also biased because I'm completely into avr synths and they
cost close to nothing but they still have character and are totally usable.
Right now I am about to put together this strange shield

http://devsound.se/2012/sjs-one

which gives me one voice for 70 bucks.

Wile I'm rambling, I'm thinking next thing I might try be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlcnRPIWn9Q&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsPaqUlapP4&feature=relmfu

(Paia Fatman with a revamped microcontroler)

Hope this helps in any way...
Marc

http://marc-nostromo.com