Conference: 6+1 via skype -- Microphone needed

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Thu Aug 2 16:18:48 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have the following situation: 6 people are in a room together at a table, the 7th is connected via skype (or facetime).

In the past, their audio reception was pretty awful, letting them miss many vital parts of the conference. So we need a better mic to transmit the 6 people audio.

I am looking into boundary mics, cardioid or omni pattern, thinking especially the omni might help. The room is pretty bare, so there is quite some reverb. but would I be able to hear everyone around the table with a cardioid boundary mic?

do you have any experiences in this? Some of you must have meetings that work like this. what kind of technology do you use?

We often have discussions, so passing a mic on doesn't really work.

Thanks for any help and pointers