How to scope the power network?

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Wed Apr 18 16:29:23 CEST 2012

There are various ways of making a direct connection, but... the safest and simplest would be an inductive loop.

Get an incandescent light and wire it as normal to the mains, switch it on. Then, take a loop of wire which, at either end is connected to your audio input. Bring the loop close to the lamp cable and you should get signal. To boost sensitivity, separate the live and neutral conductors of the lamp cable, and place the inductive loop close to one of them. Also you can wind the loop around one of the mains cables (once or twice).

Do all this incrementally, to avoid blowing your inputs ;)

NB if you use LED lights, these have complex PSUs which could smooth or add artefacts. An electric heater would also work. Or even just a single core connected to live - but keep it FULLY insulated :)

Tony (HB)