sysex messages

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Apr 12 11:37:20 CEST 2012

> I've started some basic work on the arduino, reading encoders, and some push buttons and led's.
> I can send sysex now too, but have a hard time to combine the sysex with incoming midi messages.

Cool!  BTW, you need to check and set running-status on the MIDI stream in order to combine incoming and outgoing sysex messages.  Its a thorny subject though because a lot of synth MIDI implementations have their own ideas about what to do with running status messages .. ymmv with the JD990.

> I already have a ton of issues that I need to solve.
> So some questions:
> I plan on using an SPI for the encoders and leds/push buttons. Is this the normal way how it's done? I checked the midibox sequencer on how it's done there and will probably copy the hardware. What clock speed should one read the pots/push buttons?
> Do I use an interrupt on the midi incoming signals?

These decisions are entirely up to you, but it sounds like a sound choice for your architecture so far.

> Anyway, seems like it's going to take some time before it's working. So in the mean time I plan on using one of these behringer "knob" boxes. They seem to handle sysex. Anyone tried this?

Seems to me that if you're sending sysex already, you're most of the way there .. so why not push to completion with your homebrew effort?

;
--
Jay Vaughan