Ipad 3 charging issue

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Sat Apr 7 12:58:02 CEST 2012

On Apr 7, 2012, at 11:05 , Romain / rXg wrote:

> Do you have a big issue with the charging process? It s seems that the Ipad3 doesn t charge when is plugged  and used   at the same time ... :-S

Very conflicted about this one. Yes, it gets warmer. It's quite noticeable. But not something that will make the iPad switch off.

It does require a lot more time to charge. Bigger battery. With my iPad 2 I was very sloppy in charging it. I could go for days without charging. Occasional use.

With the new iPad I have to take care of this a bit more. There's no problem for me in using it whilst charging, by the way. It charges fine. But only if you use the supplied 2A charger or the 1.2A port of the Mac.

My 0.5A USB charging port, mounted in a wall on the other hand doesn't charge the iPad whilst its in use. It also takes ages for the battery to charge with it... overnight it doesn't go from 0 to 100%.

In some ways I feel the new iPad is a bit like the original iPad. It stretches tech to a new level, so there are some more noticeable downsides. With the original iPad it was performance. With the new iPad it is energy management. The iPad 2 was 'perfect' in that it was faster but didn't require much more energy. It also didn't carry the wow-factor as the original iPad did when it just got launched. I expect the next ipad to be a bit the same — an optimized iPad 3.

My biggest gripe: why are there no USB hubs out there which can supply 2A of power?

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL