iPad Moog

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 16 18:14:03 CEST 2011

On 16/09/11 17:04, Peter Korsten wrote:
> Op 16-9-2011 13:55, Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:
>
>> But, no, I won't accept that these emulations are "good enough". The
>> excitement of the originals does NOT have to be compromised, and in a world of
>> code, such wonders could even be duplicated infinitely: Infinite inspiration.
>> And it's totally possible. So I'm not hugely inspired by yet another
>> almost-as-good-as. These are products/tools, whereas blindingly bright
>> inspiration comes from revolution, not acceptance.
>
> Yeah, but, why? It's like that whole hype of either having a 303, or create
> something -either in software or hardware- that sounds exactly like it. And the
> reason? Because 'you need' a 303 for acid. I've read comments from people who
> consider it 'not real' if it doesn't have a real 303. Which is a pretty crappy
> box to begin with.
>
> Now the sound of the 303 cannot be compared to that of the Moog, but trying to
> recreate the exact sound is, in my opinion, missing the point. Whilst I do
> appreciate the art of sound creation, and the production quality of contemporary
> songs, it's not a goal in its own - at least, to me it isn't.
>
> Take, for example, the Yamaha AN1x. It's been named as a digital version of this
> and that analogue synth, but it's a rather deep and intriguing instrument of its
> own. Whilst it can faithfully reproduce old analogue synths, it can also do
> things that no analogue synth could ever do.

I totally agree - if the sound was arbitrarily bad in the first place, then
there's no point in reconstructing something that was just bad. May as well be
bad in some other way. Or just plain good, like these digital versions.

But play a Steinway concert grand (not one of the lesser ones). It doesn't take
an experienced musician to notice *something* is very different.

And the Moog, the Octave Cat, and a whole bunch of others, have that difference.

But when it comes to making music, then, use what you got. Music will not sit
around waiting.

Tony (HB)