Electribe EMX1 vs. Radias

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 6 22:03:32 CEST 2011

> I have had both, and would like to have both again...but they are
> completely different.

Yup.  One is a groove machine/synth tweakbox.  The other is a full-blown synth workstation with grounded roots in the engine; bits of one are glommed onto the other, however, in terms of interface module types .. I'd say they're completely different products.  Korgs wave engine is pretty much at the heart of it all, but is being applied in different ways in each line.

It is absolutely a fact though, that Korg (and their development partners) have had 're-usable code that can be bundled in different ways for similar products' as well-proven commercial doctrine for decades, now.

Underneath the packaged interface, are similar devices.  (Well, its all become quite the chip Foundry in these products these days, they've got the resources to go straight from FPGA->Fabrication within a year, and so they can put bits of one product in the other, silicon-wise, easily enough ..)

> Together, they would be an awesome pairing.  An ESX (sampling EMX) and
> a Radias would be a great jam and create station.

You see, Peter, this is a positive in the "reasons to get an iPad" department, because you could have an Electribe in your hands within minutes.

Not that I'm trying hard to be an advocate or anything, but the fact of the matter is, I am having an absolutely fantastic time playing little more than the iMS20, Electribe-for-iPad-iMX1, and the Harmony/Sunrize synths together these days.  I would upload a few recordings, but mostly I've been in the garden, playing and enjoying myself, and not recording a darn thing. Did I mention how much I freaking love this thing?

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=404634

If they get smart and make an 'expanded' version of this thing, with say .. Bluetooth control .. it may really revolutionize mixing in the portable synth world.

However, I did dust off the Holy Trinity configuration (qy700/machinedrum/virus) over the weekend, as I intend to re-install it and use it actively in our nice new jam space permanently, soon.  Its just so much more jam friendly to have multiple, independent knobs, which always work no matter what.

As for music-making on the horizon, me and Stan and Ben have really put our collection into good consideration, and its time for a re-appraisal of our approach.  I hope I will have new, good, stuff for those who are interested in my experiments, soon .. probably I'm going to try to mix things properly, soon enough.

;
--
Jay Vaughan