valve amp?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 21 16:47:31 CEST 2011

Op 20-10-2011 11:35, The Dong schreef:

> Electrostatic speakers. And yes, once you've heard a pair, you can't say
> they are crap. But they are HUGE, WAF WARNING ;)
> Tell your friend to buy a sub or two ;)

Yeah, the living room of his poky little flat in Rotterdam was designed
around those speakers. They left me less than impressed. Yes, there was
a lot of details, but also a distinctive lack of bass.

> There is something about transistor, mosfet and even class D amps that I
> find grating compared to a simple valve amp. Maybe it's all in my mind,
> maybe not. The appeal of a simple valve amp to me is that it is easy to
> fix or modify, and not one of those things that breaks down and becomes
> uneconomical or impossible to repair within a short time, so is thrown
> away for the 'next best replacement I can afford in the pile of rubbish
> going to landfill'.

That's cars for you these days. And trains, too. All the problem they're
experiencing with their snazzy new trains in the Netherlands is because
the software wasn't ready. And they don't have a loo, either. But to
remedy that, you can borrow a plastic bag from the conductor and use the
driver's cabin currently not in use. I kid you not.

- Peter