How to explain an analog state variable filter ..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 14 13:36:40 CEST 2011

Hi Peter

Ahh, a religious debate...

On 13.10.2011 22:21, Peter Korsten wrote:
> The problem of C++ is that it adds OO to C, without making a bold
> decision to tackle some of C's problems at the same time. This is
> something that Java and C# have done.

The problem of C and C++ is that you can shoot yourself in the foot. The
strength of C and C++ is that con can shoot yourself in the foot if
there's a good reason.

> Today, I wrote a catty comment on thedailywtf.com, to some moron who was
> repeating the age-old 'Java is slow' mantra, and that nothing is as
> efficient as C. I pointed out that the people who pay our salaries know
> that it takes far less time in development and debugging to write
> something in Java than it does in C, and that the average developer was
> a whole lot more expensive than some more CPU power, extra memory and

Look, what you're saying is totally true in the enterprise world. When
it comes to the embedded world, things look quite differently. I haven't
heard of any real-time Java implementations, at least none that are
truly out in the field. Or to give another server / desktop example:
High-performance math or signal processing libraries. Until you exploit
vector instructions, you'll always lose massively. For those
applications, you're back to C++.

Does any of that apply to you? Probably not. Does it apply to me (and
lots of developers in my company)? Yes.

There's a place for many different languages. There's absolutely no
place for "language X sucks", unless you specify what exact problem
you're trying to solve.

Martin