How to explain an analog state variable filter ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 13 22:21:12 CEST 2011

Op 13-10-2011 21:50, ibisum schreef:

>> This is something I will never be able to do. C++ sucks at so many
>> levels that it's incredible.
>
> Oh, come now.  You can see there are parts of C++ that do not suck, and
> parts that really do.  (Oh yeah.)  But, the parts that do not suck are
> quite brilliant and useful.  Even the most mundane C++ projects can be
> quite elegantly navigable.
>
> C++ just demonstrates that you can't do any cool things by committee.

The problem of C++ is that it adds OO to C, without making a bold
decision to tackle some of C's problems at the same  time. This is
something that Java and C# have done.

Today, I wrote a catty comment on thedailywtf.com, to some moron who was
repeating the age-old 'Java is slow' mantra, and that nothing is as
efficient as C. I pointed out that the people who pay our salaries know
that it takes far less time in development and debugging to write
something in Java than it does in C, and that the average developer was
a whole lot more expensive than some more CPU power, extra memory and
air conditioning. But if that weren't the case for him as a developer,
that would make sense because of the amount of drivel coming from him.

C++ is a product of its time, and for that time, it's quite good. But if
we look at what makes C development, at least for larger projects,
difficult:
* no protection against memory leaks
* no protection against buffer overruns
* no exception handling
* no type safety

Of these, C++ only tackles type safety, and its exception handling is a
joke. I mean, you can write 'throw 5;'. Java's and C#'s exception
handling are miles ahead of that.

So whilst I understand the desire to maintain source-level compatibility
with C, it hasn't actually done the language much good, because Java and
C#, that are not source-compatible with C, have had much more success
than C++ ever had. The highly confusing syntax doesn't help much, either.

Anyway, this sums it up nicely. :)
http://www.softpanorama.org/Lang/Cpp_rama/humor.shtml

- Peter