iPad development?

ibisum EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 13 21:48:11 CEST 2011

> So how's Android development? From what I understand, it's more-or-less
> Java based.

More or less, yes, its "just like Java", only with a mobile-environment
oriented class library .. although you don't strictly have to only use
Java, there is also a very vibrant and usable C/C++ substrata you can
use to great effect if you need to.  Just like iOS, the requirement of
using Objective-C is not 'strictly' enforced .. however, yes, for quick
stuff you can't beat the Eclipse/Java/Dalvik situation.  It just plain
works, and there is a *lot* of good stuff in the deep, rich API's
offered in Android.

I really want to spend more time on iOS in my personal hacking time and
less on Android, although its quite possible to be very comfortable with
the tools on either side.  Right now (at work) I'm doing standard
Android/Eclipse about 90% of the time, as thats our chosen target, but
the iOS apps I've written (and are in the middle of writing) so far have
been very fun, and my investigation of the Android NDK completely opened
the door for plain ol' C/C++ shims and groks.

My personal iOS projects have been torpor'ized for the last few months,
I'm itching to return to some of the C++ projects I've had running there
in the background.  I'd love to finish the work on Joosts' violator, for
example, and get it in the store.

And then .. theres moai (http://getmoai.com/) which is an interesting
solution to the platform mess, actually .. runs great on iOS, but still
some work left to do on Android .. in about a month it'll probably be a
great solution to the whole platform decision.  I'm enjoying writing Lua
scripts on my iPad, it is bloody wonderful .. ;)