So long Steve ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 7 12:14:36 CEST 2011

> Put it this way. Andy linked a video of jobs in 2005, at Stanford. Jobs
> basically said that if it weren't for him taking calligraphy classes,
> computers wouldn't have had proper typefaces. So much for modesty.

Umm .. he's not saying that.  He's saying that what he learned from calligraphy, he applied to the aesthetics of computers .. and that aesthetic drover forward the adoption of design technology throughout the whole realm of software.

In fact, hardly anyone gave a shit about proper font rendering on PC's before the Mac came along and dominated desktop publishing and the printing industries.  This is a demonstrable fact.

Humility not required.

> Gates has given unimaginable amounts of money to charity; Jobs, to my
> knowledge

Your knowledge is hindered.  An absence of data is not a fact.  We don't know if he donated to charity as Steve Jobs, or anonymously - could be he made the (wise) decision not to associate his philanthropy with his external personal image and other corporate activities.  We don't know. Yet.

> , has not, and cancelled Apple's philanthropy projects when he took
> over.

Apple matches staff donations to charity up to $10,000.  I don't think many other companies do that.

> Their track record for care about the environment is nothing to write
> home about either.

[citation required]

> Knowing the previous business practices of Microsoft, I'm under no illusion
> that Gates would be a nice, affable person. You don't become the richest
> person in the world by being nice. But when it comes to actually measurable
> accomplishments, then Gates has saved lives and improved living conditions
> of many, whereas Jobs has made technology fashionable.

Jobs has made technology approachable for a lot more people than Gates has.  You can't tell me that Grandma can handle Win8 Tablet anywhere nearly as well as she can handle iOS4.

;
--
Jay Vaughan