Japanese music

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 7 00:06:07 CEST 2011

On 06/10/11 22:46, Dave S wrote:
> On 05/10/11 22:31, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
>> Tomita
>
> YES with bells on! "Snowflakes Are Dancing" has blown my mind ever since I was a
> kid, and continues to do so every time I listen to it.
>
> It might actually be my favourite album of all time, though it's very hard for
> me to ever say that without any ifs and buts because I like so much music, but
> essentially, it's the winner. :-)
>
> (I plan to go out to "Clair De Lune" as the final tune at my funeral, that's how
> good it is.)

Clair de Lune is the single most influential piece of music I heard as a kid.
And over time the Tomita version has begun to shape how I think about sound and
its ability to become music without effort. Probably because Tomita's sounds are
so like the natural sound of old radios, which I was listening to (and
occasionally building) when I was also learning the piano. More abstract sonic
explorations have led me back to this same language of harmonic change through
timbre, which Tomita used in ways Debussy and Bach could not, but with maybe
equal musical understanding.

Tony (HB)