Happy to be back! AND a dsp question too!!!

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 22 18:34:52 CET 2011

On 22/11/11 17:49, Matt Seil wrote:
> I'm really happy this list is back!  Anyway, I'm currently getting my Master's
> in CS and am interested in getting into some DSP programming.  I would prefer
> hardware kits, but I will take all suggestions.

In audio, I would say some assembler experience is really helpful to get a deep
grounding. Similar trade-offs occur regardless of the silicon, and it's useful
to know what the compiler is trying to achieve. With video, I'd say assembler
experience is less vital, because bit-twisting tricks are best achieved in the
design of data structures, where a high level language (especially
object-oriented) can bring significant advantages, although, if you want to
optimise, there's nothing like a custom array of multipliers to get certain
algorithms working real fast.

But... languages are playing an increasingly important role in defining and
solving DSP problems... it all depends on what level you want to explore.

Definitely worth doing a bit of high and low level. Connecting actual wires to a
DSP... is good for your soul. Just remember where pin 1 is.

Others here will point you toward specific kits and stuff :)

Tony (HB)