Hard drives

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 14 14:45:26 CET 2011

On 12/11/2011 10:16, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Yes. Well it affects me, and whoever is buying a new system as well, perhaps. It's significant.
>
> Its a dangerous thing, to be so dependent on technology that can be washed away at a mere flood or so, don't you think Dong ..

"Eggs" "Baskets", yes. But only about 20% of world production is
affected. So. Take this as a reactionary price increase; an increase
based on speculation and greed, not factual non-supply. There should be
regulatory powers in place to vilify suppliers and retail outlets from
ramping up prices two or threefold, even if supply is short.
Even diamonds are two a penny these days ;)

> I'm pretty sure this might mean that SSD production is going to skyrocket, although its already doing that, pretty much.  The economies of scale are going to tip pretty soon; it'll be more expensive to do electro-mechanical rather than just straight plain silicon, soon enough .. well, thats whats happened now with this simple flood, I guess, after all.

SSD's, as you say, don't seem to be overly affected.
There's always the hybrid SSD's too, but they are still expensive.

> I think though, that the PC must die.  Its too high-power.  When we're all running multi-core machines in our pocket with no moving parts whatsoever, rechargable by mere sunlight, it will be the end of it.  Imagine if every PC just suddenly turned off, because iPad4 got a backpanel?  I hope I see it happen, personally.

The high power PC will not die, because the gaming, video and
computational fraternities will always demand the fastest techs.
If a breakthrough in low power processors should emerge (which is
gradually the case, I admit) then my above statement becomes nullified,
but playing games, or coding, or even typing, or some such other things
on a pad will never suit everyone.