SSD in Macbook Pro

Michael Zacherl. EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Nov 13 14:37:24 CET 2011

Hi Joost, thanks for replying!

On 12.11.2011, at 15:23 , Joost Schuttelaar wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2011, at 14:51 , Michael Zacherl. wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if it's the drop in Berlin or if it's just the age that the SuperDrive became dodgy.
>
> On both my original 15" PowerBook and 17" MacBook Pro my SuperDrive stopped working at some point. On this one it didn't, but I never really used it anyway. I think I actually never burned any media with it.

Since I ditched my TV I'm looking for a region free DVD-drive anyway, I wouldn't mind if that was external.
160GB is a bit too small for my needs.

>> However since I always demand a lot from this machine and I just can't afford a current model I'm pondering to change the internal drive to an SSD
>> and move the original HDD into the SuperDrive's slot.
>> Admittedly I'm a bit afraid of opening up the MBP, not only because it's a bit bent up on the front left side where I'm not sure if I manage to refit the parts.
>> Would you think such an effort and potential hassle is worth the change for such an old machine?
>> SSD and original Optibay is quite some money as well.
>
> I'd get a cheap clone, they're 10-15 euros max. I never though that opening a MacBook Pro was really difficult, to be honest. Mine was also dented and no problem getting it back in shape (unless you think something is really under tension, which I would find unlikely).
>
> My main concern was the display quality after 3 years of very intense usage. Note that it was the pre-LED model. So if you think the display is good enough, and you're happy with the machine, then why not put a SSD in. Crazy value for money. Especially that if your machine starts swapping a tiny bit (which it might with 4GB memory), you won't notice it at all. Beats buying a new Mac for sure!

I do like the machine, but the display has issues.
It's ok to work with, but it appears that the sealing has broking somehwere and dust managed to creep into the lid.
(it got grey patches on it which can't be wiped away)

The intel 320 / 160GB is currently listed at about €240 - quite some money, then again I maybe could use it in a potential new machine as well.

Pondering ...

   m.