First Mac

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 11 23:30:58 CET 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 18:22 , deeplfo wrote:

> Gang,
> I may have an opportunity to teach an introductory music technology class at my boys school, and need to get a Mac.  So, I'm in the market for my first MacBook Pro notebook and wanted to know what kind of spec should I go for, and what kind of apps and peripherals I should consider.

If you can wait three months, you might have new MacBook Pro-Airs, or something like it. If you can't, get the screen size you want and then the cheapest. I love having a 17", honestly. Max out on RAM, just coz it's cheap (get it from a 3rd party). With a SSD you won't need the 8 gigs that much to be honest, but it's still good to have. I like my Intel 320SSD. Not the most expensive, but more than fast enough. Personally I'm using a 160GB SSD + 500GB hard drive; I have removed the DVD drive.

If you wanna do any video stuff BTW, you'd need the 15", since the 13" has only shitty graphics acceleration.

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL