6 to 8 channel audio player w/ amps for art installations?

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 2 00:10:26 CET 2011

Hi Michael

>> Keep in mind that S/PDIF will only carry an encoded surround signal, not 6 fully discrete channels.
>
> yeah, thanks for noting - wasn't really aware of that.
> Need to do some further reading.
> My idea was to have a purely digital connection to the amplifiers to avoid noise.
> If this amps are digital it's probably also possible to spare the D/A-A/D conversion.
> At least in theory - if something like that is available, don't know.

I think you should tell us a bit more about the installation, in
particular regarding your requirements and budget. I'm quite confused at
this stage - on the one hand, we're talking about dedicated ADAT
converter boxes and you seem to be worried about noise (this is 2011 -
even cheap digital is pretty darn good...), on the other hand you want
to keep the costs low.

Martin