6 to 8 channel audio player w/ amps for art installations?

Michael Zacherl. EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 1 02:59:33 CET 2011

On 1.11.2011, at 00:42 , Martin Naef wrote:

> On 31.10.2011 08:53, Michael Zacherl. wrote:
>> how would you build a 6 to 8-channel audio player with amplifiers in
>> the 100W rms/channel range?
>
> HiFi Amp with discrete analog inputs. 100W might get a bit expensive
> though - do you really need that much power?

at least for the bass transducers (they weigh about 1.5 kg and need to be moved)
I'm thinking of a more versatile solution.
OTOH for this potentially permanent installation something taylored and therefore possibly cheaper would make sense.

>> The set should be reliable and work unattended. I had something in
>> mind with a small linux-box, 5.1 S/PDIF output, and a digital amp
>> with S/PDIF input, also to spare the conversion. No idea if there are
>> parts available to achieve something like that.
>
> Keep in mind that S/PDIF will only carry an encoded surround signal, not 6 fully discrete channels.

yeah, thanks for noting - wasn't really aware of that.
Need to do some further reading.
My idea was to have a purely digital connection to the amplifiers to avoid noise.
If this amps are digital it's probably also possible to spare the D/A-A/D conversion.
At least in theory - if something like that is available, don't know.

> Some encoders are pretty good (DTS), but they cost *money*.
> Many cheap PCs do include 6 discrete outputs though, so that should be doable.

this is what I found out so far.
For transducers the quality should be sufficient.

> Otherwise I'd get a USB audio interface - some cheap consumer device shouldn't break the bank.

cheers,   m.

--
hear the colours of noise: http://blauwurf.at
http://soundcloud.com/noiseconformist