6 to 8 channel audio player w/ amps for art installations?

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 1 00:42:42 CET 2011

On 31.10.2011 08:53, Michael Zacherl. wrote:
> how would you build a 6 to 8-channel audio player with amplifiers in
> the 100W rms/channel range?

HiFi Amp with discrete analog inputs. 100W might get a bit expensive
though - do you really need that much power?

> The set should be reliable and work unattended. I had something in
> mind with a small linux-box, 5.1 S/PDIF output, and a digital amp
> with S/PDIF input, also to spare the conversion. No idea if there are
> parts available to achieve something like that.

Keep in mind that S/PDIF will only carry an encoded surround signal, not
6 fully discrete channels. Some encoders are pretty good (DTS), but they
cost *money*. Many cheap PCs do include 6 discrete outputs though, so
that should be doable. Otherwise I'd get a USB audio interface - some
cheap consumer device shouldn't break the bank.

Martin