NAS and media streaming

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 25 18:23:20 CEST 2011

Op 25-5-2011 11:18, Martin Naef schreef:

> NAS: Serves as fast file storage / data backup for all media. I'm
> looking into 4 disk solutions to build a RAID system. Bandwidth is
> important, I'm storing LOTS of photos and video as well.

You already found Qnap, so no further recommendations there. We don't
have one, but a colleague does, and he's happy with his. They can also
do video surveillance, which is nifty if you think you have such a
requirement.

> Audio: Stream the data from the server. (I'm not into buying monster
> cables and other snake oil, but quality is important). Must be easy to
> control without a TV - I don't have one.

I was going to suggest a high-end Blu-ray player, but not having a TV
complicates matters somewhat. We currently have a Sony BDP-S780 on
order, which is the highest-end Blu-ray player from Sony. It plays any
manner of 12 cm disc (BD, DVD, CD, SACD) and has both a wired and
wireless network connection. Wireless is rumoured to be somewhat crappy.
It won't be as flexible as a dedicated media player, but a darn sight
better to look at, have a better UI, and will most certainly have
superior image quality. It does 3D, too.

Now, if the German firm from Hamburg that I've given my money to would
kindly reply to my e-mails...

> Cost is an issue. But I'd rather wait and save some money than buy
> something in a hurry that I might regret later. I've got CAT7 Ethernet
> to all relevant spots in the house.

This high-end, 3D, Skype and YouTube capable BD-player should retail at
around €250. See, I *did* do my homework. :)

> The Squeezebox looks good, though it would be nice to have DAB in it as
> well. FM Radio reception is a bit spotty, but digital works perfect in
> the house.

Spec-wise, the Squeezebox looks sweet. I like the fact that you can use
an Android smartphone to control it; incidentally, the Sony can do this,
too.

> What file format do you store the CDs in? I currently have a collection
> of MP3 in various bit rates, but I'm willing to start again with a
> lossless format. I assume that would be FLAC? What tool would you use to
> rip the CDs? (on Windows 7)

FLAC. Suppose you have 1000 CDs of one hour each, then FLAC would set
you back around 300 GB. It's really not an issue.

For extraction, I use Exact Audio Copy. Perhaps there are better tools,
but it works for me.

- Peter