NAS and media streaming

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 25 11:18:44 CEST 2011

Hi Bar,

We've finally moved into our new house. We're now busy arranging
furniture, unpacking boxes and all the other ugly stuff - replugging the
studio will probably start next week...

In the meantime, there's a "problem" to solve where I'd like your
feedback: For design reasons, we'd like to banish the CDs from our
living room. The obvious solution would be to digitize all CDs, store
them on a NAS server, and have a streaming solution in place that feeds
the HiFi set. But which solution to get?

So far, I have the following requirements:

NAS: Serves as fast file storage / data backup for all media. I'm
looking into 4 disk solutions to build a RAID system. Bandwidth is
important, I'm storing LOTS of photos and video as well.

Audio: Stream the data from the server. (I'm not into buying monster
cables and other snake oil, but quality is important). Must be easy to
control without a TV - I don't have one.

Cost is an issue. But I'd rather wait and save some money than buy
something in a hurry that I might regret later. I've got CAT7 Ethernet
to all relevant spots in the house.

Initially, my idea was a Synology DS411j NAS and a Logitech Squeezebox
Touch. A colleague suggested to go for a x86-based NAS though as it's
easier to install custom software there (most of them seem to be based
on Linux). So that could be the Qnap TS-439.

The Squeezebox looks good, though it would be nice to have DAB in it as
well. FM Radio reception is a bit spotty, but digital works perfect in
the house.

What are you using? Suggestions?

What file format do you store the CDs in? I currently have a collection
of MP3 in various bit rates, but I'm willing to start again with a
lossless format. I assume that would be FLAC? What tool would you use to
rip the CDs? (on Windows 7)

Martin