Vista? Hello or goodbye?

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 13 10:49:56 CEST 2011

On 13 May 2011, at 00:12, Dave S wrote:

> The Hackintosh thing is an interesting idea, and I hadn't actually
> thought of doing that.  I guess I'm not opposed to trying, but to be
> perfectly honest, as much as I like Macs (I really do like them!) I
> also feel a little bit too restricted when using them.
>
> That may well be as a consequence of it being the OS I have the least
> experience with (out of Linux, Windows and OSX) but these days I'm
> basically a Linux user, and anything else doesn't really cut it for
> me.

If you can live without not fiddling with the UI much then I honestly don't find OS X to be much for restrictive than Linux.  Compiling your own software (which to my mind is kind of a freedom benchmark) isn't much harder than it is on Linux and is certainly a lot easier than I ever found it on Windows.  The other freedoms - changing the window manager etc. - are things that were fun to fiddle with but were, ultimately, a waste of my time changing.

<snip>
> I would pay good money for decent native audio software on Linux -
> don't even mind if it's not open source.  Anything to say goodbye to
> Windows for the last thing I still use it for - well, almost anything,
> but I'm not prepared to (as I would have to currently) compromise my
> musical workflow with confusing half-finished audio software and
> less-than-decent user interfaces.

Have a look at Renoise maybe.  You'll have to get into the tracker thing but it's really very good.  2.7 is just out:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/05/renoise-2-7-arrives-qa-on-free-puremagnetik-sounds-hacks-to-come/

Jonny