Vista? Hello or goodbye?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 13 01:12:14 CEST 2011

Hey Romain,

The Hackintosh thing is an interesting idea, and I hadn't actually
thought of doing that.  I guess I'm not opposed to trying, but to be
perfectly honest, as much as I like Macs (I really do like them!) I
also feel a little bit too restricted when using them.

That may well be as a consequence of it being the OS I have the least
experience with (out of Linux, Windows and OSX) but these days I'm
basically a Linux user, and anything else doesn't really cut it for
me.

I still write music on Windows because I haven't enjoyed the
experience of music making on Linux - I really think there's a lot
lacking in that department, though no doubt big steps being taken all
the time.

<tangent>

The day that Ableton Live or FL Studio is available for Linux (with
VST support), I'm there, and it'll be goodbye Windows.  Though I still
haven't found a wave editor on Linux that comes anywhere close to my
beloved and ancient Sound Forge 6 - I don't like Audacity much,
although I use it from time to time.

Ugh, why does music making still suck on Linux in 2011?  I don't get
why it's such hard work to get it up and running, or why it's so
confusing (and bear in mind I've been using Linux for just about
everything for like 8-ish years with a handful of different "harder"
distros including Gentoo and Sidux), or why the programs are so far
behind their Windows counterparts.

I would pay good money for decent native audio software on Linux -
don't even mind if it's not open source.  Anything to say goodbye to
Windows for the last thing I still use it for - well, almost anything,
but I'm not prepared to (as I would have to currently) compromise my
musical workflow with confusing half-finished audio software and
less-than-decent user interfaces.

Maybe I'll take another look at Reaper, but I've not felt hugely keen
on it so far.

Ardour might have been OK if I was still into things like Sonar, but
I'm not.  These days I want things for working with samples and
soft-synths, and sequencing them as rapidly and intuitively as
possible.

</tangent>

By the way, I've gone for WinXP in the end.  Tried to salvage Vista,
but I can't be bothered to download a torrent of it when I can just
get WinXP running on this machine and that'll more than do everything
I want to do in Windoze land.

Cheers,

~Dave