Bad Clusters (Was Re: Vista? Hello or goodbye?)

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue May 10 17:28:14 CEST 2011

Yeah, I am with jay on this.  A used computer is likely to have a few
of these.. particularly on a laptop.

If you do a low level format (completely wipe the drive with knoppix,
then install whatever os you want) the system will handle these
clusters invisibly and you won't have to worry about them again.  Bad
clusters that show up on a running partition are different than
clusters that are safely ignored when the partition is created.

I recommend doing the complete wipe regardless.  After many os
installs, you will end up with a lot of weird crap in the partition
tables, mbr and elsewhere.  dd is your friend.