DIY advice...

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun May 8 20:45:03 CEST 2011

Ok, so I came up with a plan to fix my modular PSU woes.

I am going to pull the PSU out of this case (not a bad idea, as the
case is pretty shallow, and its hard to pick modules that fit over on
half the case).  I am going to replace the IEC power chord plug with
some kind of barrel connector and move to using an external power
supply.  I don't have any modules that use 5v, so I just need to find
an external PSU that has +12/-12 on the right kind of connector, and
that should be that...

The problem I am having is finding a suitable PSU and interpreting the
specifications correctly.  The one that I found that I *think* will
work is this one:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ETA-USA/DTE150-1212FWX-F-W/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtpkqKkT5w3us4VwJGMb%2flNhMX9q6Jveo4%3d

What worries me about this particularly PSU is that the output amps
are much higher than I need, and are order of magnitude higher than
what I have now.  Is that dangerous?  I have been under the impression
(perhaps incorrectly) that so long as the voltage rating is correct,
the amp just need to be at or above whatever your trying to power (so
a device that needs 12v/1000mA will run fine if you plug 12v/1500mA
into it, but not at 9v, 15v or 500mA).  Is that correct?

It seems modulars just pull you kicking and screaming into DIY whether
you like it or not..

Tony