Apple haters

diode EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Mar 18 06:00:30 CET 2011

Le 17 mars 2011 à 22:02, Peter Korsten a écrit :

> If 140,000 people died in Tokyo because of a tsunami, it's sheer madness
> to build a nuclear power plant on the seashore

Sure! That's a point I really don't understand, especially as they erased the place especially in small hills out of tsunami reach…

> and not have triple or
> quadruple back-up systems,

The cooling system is in triple (principal for turbines, secondary for back up, and pumps for emergencies when everything else fails). They never thought of murphy, with all 3 failing… Maybe tomorrow they will be able to start one with the high tension cable they managed to bring to one of the reactor building.

(sigh)

What bothers me more, is seemingly, and it's something apparently current in the nuclear industry, nobody thought: "What if all built in system fail? What shall we do?" like a mobile high pressure flooding system, remote controlled, able to flood the pool or cool the confinement enclosure… No need to have one for each reactor, just enough to be sure it can reach a reactor in trouble fast.

> and very high sea walls.

They had one to contain 10 m tsunamis, trouble is, the wave was 14 m…

(note that Areva CEO told yesterday it was too bad the wave was 1 meter too high…)

To our US friends here, you have reactors in San Diego, on the sea shore, with tsunami walls (for 10 m waves)…

diode
diodeladder at free.fr