Admin user

James Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jun 30 23:31:22 CEST 2011

This is a good idea on PC too.  You having to enter you admin password to
do something adminy is different than being logged in as an admin user.  A
mal process can do whatever it wants if you are logged in as admin.  By
limiting your access, and never logging in as admin unless you need, gives
you a layer of protection against the evils.  I chew out everyone whose
computers are under my care about this.  It has saved several friends and
families big time when they did get a nasty bug.

James R. Coplin

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of K9 Kai
Niggemann
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:04 PM
To: Music bar
Subject: Admin user

Here is a question for all you Unix savvy people:

I am told over and over not to work as an Admin-enabled user in Mac OS X,
for security reasons.

What strikes me as odd is that very often when I want to install a
program, it asks me to enter an admin password (even Ableton Live does it,
when installing the trial version).

So in that moment, I am giving the installer admin privileges, no matter
what kind of user I am logged in as.

so what's better about not working as an admin user?

I understand that "Admin" is something different from "root" that needs to
be enabled separately?

Where is a link that explains account-security to a Mac user?

;)

Kai