The cost of being on-line

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 26 22:12:06 CEST 2011

Op 26-6-2011 20:31, Martin Naef schreef:

> Actually, PV generally lasts significantly longer. 20 to 30 years is
> what the manufacturer guarantees, and it usually means that after that
> time it still generated something like 80%+ of peak power. Recent
> figures I heard assume that PV panels can easily be run for 50 years and
> still reach something like 70%. The inverter needed to feed the power
> into the grid won't last that long, though - but that can be replaced.

The government here is offering a 50% subsidy (up to €3000) for a PV
installation. Thing is, that the sort of investment that I think will
take quite a long time to pay itself back, and it would perhaps make
more sense, financially speaking, to tackle things like mortgages and loans.

(Obviously, it's only for 2000 or 3000 installations, and this is the
third time they do it, so these things must be popular.)

Even so, what is there to look out for? After our less than stellar
experiences with the cheap Chinese solar water heater (the system itself
is brilliant, but the implementation is pure rubbish), I wouldn't want
to get burned again. And they love cheap Chinese stuff in this country.

- Peter