The cost of being on-line

diode EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 26 19:50:16 CEST 2011

Le 26 juin 2011 à 11:44, Romain / rXg a écrit :

> About 'energy-human-solution-planet' since more than 12 years I bet on
> nuclear fusion ... but well, I'm still waiting and I think somewhere that is
> just a/my dream but i still hope :)...

You should really do your homework. (spank spank ;)

Right now, the only ENR not at its full potential technically is PV solar. We can achieve about 19% efficiency at best. 24% in the laboratory. The guy who finds out how to make a 80-90% efficient PV is RICH.

Note the first fully recyclable PV panels are just out. And a lot of people are working on making them more efficient.

PV lasts about 20-30 years, now are recyclable (or soon will be), and needs only cleaning…

Thermic solar is very efficient (in the 90% figure) and you can even use it in Scandinavia. You can even make electricity from it (as the EU is financing the plants in Spain and North Africa).

The best Nuclear power plant is 32% efficient on secondary energy (once you have left the 98% of the fuel not used) and it's not going to get better anytime soon. 3rd gen plants (EPR) are not much efficient (just financing hogs) and 4th is a lure as we still don't know how to make a fully working surgenerator (as 4th gen is just that). One that is not plague with incidents (like all of the experiments have in France, USSR, Finland, Japan, let's say the japanese one -Monju- is right now a clockwork bomb…)

I may had 4th gen/surgenerator ARE Bombs… And hence can reach criticality (meaning: BOOM!)

Fusion is a dream… (to hog finances) and may be not as clean as advertised.
(enough of nuclear rant, back to ENR)

Windmills are efficient and we are already near the Betz limit (47%, you can't do better, save if you're a dishonest windmill salesman who doesn't know his job). No windmill will be able to do more, never. If there's something to make better in windmills it's not efficiency nor reliability (save if you go vertical axis, bad idea), not recycling, it's 99,99% recycle-proof, it last 50 years (with yearly maintenance). The real issue is its animal friendliness… it's potentially (or really, depending of the place) dangerous for birds, insects and bats. But some persons are working on if, expect violet windmills soon, to repel insects and save bats… For birds best is to stop the mills when the birds fly by on migrations routes (e few hours a day, some days a year) so it's not much of a loss to avoid the issue.

People are working on waves, tides but I can't tell the figures it's still in the laboratory or in testing. Let's say one thing we learned of the Rance plant in France, is that it was a bad idea, not because it doesn't work, but the way it's been built needs a lot of maintenance. people in France and especially in the UK are testing better systems. For waves (the big moving cylinders) the first plant is in deployment in Spain or Portugal, we'll see.

Geothermy works, just ask the crazy Icelanders (and others who use it).

Biomass works, and gives one of the best examples of efficiency available (92% in the cogen plant -wood burning- of Linz : heat and electricity). I don't know the figures for biogas but the technology is working, but it's an heavy process to start up and better kept on a small scale.

Agrofuels are NOT green (nor "bio" or "organic"). They kill baby kittens and Orang Utans. (joking seriously)

Now you can still read the scripts to get our of nuclear power (some links in English)
http://www.sortirdunucleaire.org/index.php?menu=sinformer&sousmenu=themas&soussousmenu=plus&page=alternatives

Denis =G) ranting
----
LOPPSI IS BAD